Beyond just the standard advertising, some social media platforms are testing the waters of subscription-based offerings with unique perks. Snap Inc. has taken the bold move by launching Snapchat+ back in June, with UAE and Saudi Arabia being one of the few first markets.
With recent announcement of the Qatar office, the news is not stopping there. Snapchat+ is now expanding to more countries in the region, accompanied with additional new features.
Snapchat+ serves to deliver new and exclusive features to its users, pre-release or experimental. Whether some will remain locked behind a subscription paywall or will be rolled out to standard users with some restrictions, that’s still unknown.
The initial set of features on release included the following:
- Snapchat for Web (Use it via web browser on desktop/laptop)
- Ghost Trails:
- Snapchat+ badge
- Story Rewatch (you’ll know how many have rewatched your Story more than once)
More countries, additional perks
One way I got to find out about the availability in Qatar? The sudden prompt showing on my profile section just few days ago. I decided to even ask some of my other friends and it proved to be true.
Initial set of features included Snapchat for Web and changeable app icons, but the newest additions include the following feature set
- New Bitmoji backgrounds: special backgrounds like gleaming gold and a beach paradise.
- Post View Emoji: Pick an emoji you want friends to see after they view your Snaps. It’s a signature way to sign-off your Snaps.
- Priority Story Replies: Your replies will be more visible to Snap Stars.
- New App Icons: Mor eoptions added
Those who choose to sign up and either pay a monthly fee or an annual fee upfront (which can also net you a bigger saving). Pricing is $3.99/month (or the local currency equivalent), and can easily be bought in-app on iOS/Android. The new markets being rolled out include the following:
- India (a different price at ~$0.67/month when converted from local currency equivalent)
The other added detail to the official announcement is that Snapchat+ now has 1M subscribers since its launch. More features will definitely make their way.