Loyalty programs have seen some renewed focus by many brands in the past year. PlayStation is jumping onto the trend with their own PlayStation Stars. Officially announced in July, it’s been seeing phased regional rollouts and I just got the email to sign up.
Play, earn and redeem
There is no cost to signing up to the loyalty program. You can sign up straight away via the PlayStation App (iOS/Android) or via the website. Points can be used to redeem for games, digital wallet funds, or digital collectibles showcased in a digital display on the PlayStation App.
PlayStation gamers can earn points in multiple ways:
- Monthly campaigns (e.g. playing any game, etc.)
- Custom campaigns tailored to each user, based on the games you like to play (earning specific trophies, earning the platinum torphy in your time zone, etc.)
- Shop in PlayStation Store, where points are earned on eligible purchases. PlayStation Plus members (regardless of tier) can earn points for every dollar spent on the PlayStation Store (except for PSN Wallet top-ups).
There are different status levels that gives players additional benefits.
Just like any loyalty program, PlayStation Stars also has certain restrictions in place:
- Points will expire after a certain time period – end of the month + 24 months from the date they appear in your account balance.
- Your status level is valid for the remainder of the calendar year + 13 months.
The loyalty program works for both the PS4 and PS5 users. More details and other questions are answered on their website in an FAQ.
The program is now rolling out to users in UAE, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Lebanon. Make sure you check your email inbox or the PlayStation App for a notification.
Image credit: PlayStation Blog